The Westmead precinct is one of the largest health, education, research and training precincts in Australia and a key provider of jobs for the greater Parramatta and western Sydney region.
More than $3 billion has been committed by government, universities and the private sector to upgrade and expand the precinct’s health services, education and medical research facilities over the coming years.
Spanning 75 hectares, the Westmead precinct comprises over 400,000m2 of high-end health-related developments, including four major hospitals, four world-leading medical research institutes, two university campuses and the largest research intensive pathology service in NSW.
Westmead has been identified by the NSW Government as a State Significant Development site due to the size, economic value and importance to Parramatta and Western Sydney.
By 2036 the number of full-time staff working across Westmead will increase to more than 30,000 and the number of students will expand to more than 10,000.
Westmead precinct partners work together in an integrated and coordinated way to deliver world-class innovation and services for NSW and Australia.
Westmead Redevelopment Stage 1
Redevelopment will transform the
Westmead Health Precinct and deliver innovative, integrated facilities that will continue to deliver high-quality healthcare for decades to come.
The project is part of the NSW Government’s commitment to keeping people healthy and out of hospital, enabling timely access to services, providing world-class clinical services, and investing in critical infrastructure.
The project will:
- Increase service integration between the adult’s and children’s hospitals
- Enable greater integration of education, research and health services delivery through a partnership with the University of Sydney providing increased research space in the new Central Acute Services Building.
- The NSW Government is investing more than $1 billion to redevelop the Westmead Hospital Precinct.
The project includes:
- Stage 1 Building K (Central Acute Services Building) including new adult and children's emergency departments, opened 2021
- Stage 2 and 3 projects for Westmead Hospital
- Stage 2 redevelopment for The Children's Hospital at Westmead, expected to be completed by 2025
- Partnership projects with the Univerity of Sydney
- Car parking.
Stage 1 is now complete.
For more information about Westmead Hospital, please visit Western Sydney Local Health District
or sign up for The Pulse
westmead precinct partners
Westmead is a flagship for highly specialised and integrated health, research, education and innovation and a major lever for economic stimulus.
Westmead partners include:
- Westmead Hospital
- The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- Cumberland Hospital
- Pathology West - ICPMR Westmead
- The University of Sydney
- The Westmead Institute for Medical Research
- Children's Medical Research Institute
- Westmead Research Hub
- Westmead Private Hospital
- Western Sydney University
- Ronald McDonald House at Westmead
We also work closely with the following organisations:
- Greater Sydney Commission
- City of Parramatta
- Cumberland Council
- Western Sydney Business Chamber
WATCH THE VIDEO
This video explains the exciting times ahead for Westmead.